Monday, June 2, 2008

Folksay

It has been a busy two weeks at Citydance Ensemble. We've been reconstructing a 1942 "Sophie Maslow's" masterpiece "Folksay". You would think that an old dance would be easy to perform but I guess I underestimated it. Folksay is not easy at all, it's very athletic and it really challenges the strength of your thigh muscles but nevertheless the dance is fun. The dance has a hint of Graham Technique which made it easier for me to adapt, the only part that challenges me is the solo where I have to tap dance (I've never tap in my entire life) while holding flowers in my right hand. I am supposed to be the guy that just won a lottery and get all the girls.

Next week is the last week of our season. We'll be performing at Strathmore Music Center on Friday June 13th, all the info is in my website under the calendar. To learn more about the process of reconstructing Folksay please visit the company's blog where you can find videos of our rehearsals and interviews from the dancers and our coaches http://powerpassionpurpose.blogspot.com/

No comments: